Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Word Of The Day Is "Bulk"

First I thought about writing the definition of bulk for the ones who have no clue of its meaning. But then I thought it over and realized that if I do so, my dear blog will seem just like all the other online dictionaries. Also, an image is way better than a million words (did I translate well? Maybe there's the same saying in English, but, please, don't make me google it now..move your ass and do it yourself!). No, I'm not upset. I swear. Sorry.

I'm sure you must be asking yourself what the hell I'm talking about. Well, let me say then...

I've been working as a model for the last 4 years (ok, you fell off the chair, you're laughing and probably saying "C O M E O N!" but it definitely is true. The purest one). Moving on.
What I really want to say is that this profession manages to be lots of things, like fun, funny, interesting, cruel and I kinda like it all. Why is it fun? You see beautiful people most of the times (I say MOST because being a model is not exactly related to beauty at all. No jokes, please..). Why is it funny? Because they think that everybody else is "less" for not being such beautiful people like they are. Perhaps the adjective "funny" should be replaced by "tragic". Whatever. Interesting? 'Cause they really look self-confident, even if they're not. And, if not, they pretend it so well that I myself am defining them as self-confident. And why is it cruel? Just because it's just like any other kind of job. Just because. And people say what they're paid to say, whether you like it or not. However it seems to hurt more since it puts the finger right where it hurts the most in every single person: self-esteem. That's what happened to me when I went to the fittings for the NCAD Fashion Show last week.
While trying on the exquisite garment which made me look kind of part of the Star Trek casting, the fashion show organizer told me kindly to swap my alien outfit with the other model because he needed some more bulk (yes, MEAN!) to run along the catwalk with that. It'd be ok if he called me in the corner and whispered this sentence gently, or even angrily, if that was the case. But no. It wasn't like this. It's fashion industry. Things are supposed to be loud when it comes to this. And also, people are supposed to laugh (yes, it was really embarassing). As a guy full of complexes that I am, I felt a little bad in the first begining, even knowing that I shouldn't take it personal And I didn't do it, I promise. Just felt bad for not being bulk enough to parade with that. But, as a model, I should be more self-confident and looked the bright side of all that: even not being sturdy enough for that outfit, the other ones fitted me perfectly. And also, I was still part of the show, what, for a few seconds, made me more special than others who are not. At least that's what I preferred to think of while I was there. It was the only thing that could make me forget my complexes for that moment and make me the secure person I should be.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very fond of Shakespeare. Even more when he asked "What's in a name?" I'd change for a more "fashionable" term: "What's in a label?"
    Well no matter names or labels, they are sure to fall. I'd rather believe that, by the end of everything, the attitudes will be the real memories of a person, his reliability. For my turn, I think that people are what the are, their behavior. So, being a R!OT or not, who cares?...There is only going to be one: Plinio. Notthig more to declare!

    ReplyDelete

Followers